Bird brained stories!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

There's no place like home

With the unseasonably cold weather, birding in southwestern Wisconsin has been an extreme sport of late. I've walked across a frosty field to see Greater Prairie Chickens; I fought strange snow squalls in torrents to find my first warbler of the season, a yellow-rumped, at Necedah National Wildlife Refuge. Who would have thought polypropylene underwear and a winter coat would be necessary gear for birding in May?

Yet, sometimes one need not wander that far afield. As I finished filling my feeders tonight, I noticed a flock of about 40-50 birds high in the newly budding black walnut tree. With my great big new 80-400mm lens in hand, I walked around to the light side and saw that they were not a mess of cowbirds after all, but Cedar Waxwings, their feathers beautiful in that golden late evening sun. They would split their time between the flowering crab, very picturesque, and the nearly bare black walnut. Enjoying their high pitched chatter, I watched them defy a scolding Blue Jay by remaining steadfast, forcing Mr. Jay across the street.

Along with the enjoyment of an unusual yard bird, probably just passing through, it struck me; they're just passing through! Maybe my waxwing visitors are a signal the stalled migration is beginning again, along with our stalled spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page