Bird brained stories!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The river is NOT high.

My younger son has started Drivers Ed, the classroom portion. What does this mean for me? For the next three weeks, I have to drive him to LaCrosse, where he is in class for two hours. Trying to be a good steward of the earth---no one from town with whom he can carpool--I've tried to entertain myself for those two hours, rather than driving back and forth. Today I went to the library. On Monday, I enjoyed coffee at Ajay's Java Joint. Yesterday, however, I went birding.

I headed into the marsh trails from a different direction this time, parking at Red Cloud Park on LaCrosse's north side and wandering down. I chose to bird in an area that was different, just on the north side of the trail bridge, and to the east. Mosquito city!

I keep hoping to spot a Barred Owl in these riverine bottomlands, but it hasn't happened yet. Yesterday there was a lot of woodpecker action, the Downies, Hairies and Red Bellieds all tapping away, making those "yacka yacka" contact calls that always make me smile. A cuckoo was spotted briefly, its long striped tail unmistakeable, but refusing to sing or show its face.

The marsh is drying significantly, in some places reduced to only muck. Just off the viewing platforms, one lone Kildeer and I communed for some time. Every time I moved, I marveled at how well it blends in, even out in the open. All in all, it was a hot and quiet morning on the marsh, or what's left of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page