Bird brained stories!

Saturday, September 30, 2006

When two hobbies collide...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I've never felt it to be a bad thing to have a large variety of interests. One can never be bored if there are enough things to pursue. The problem sometimes becomes one of picking and choosing, however. Of late, I have been having a blast by combining two of my interests; birding and scrapbooking. Throw in a third interest of "not wasting resources," and I guess I've covered three.

I've enjoyed trying my hand at bird photography, sharing many of those images right here. What then? My skills and equipment are not of a level that would ever allow me to seriously consider marketing my work; this is just for fun. I had started a scrapbook some years ago to showcase some of my best work, and that was fine--for a time. When I upgraded my equipment to digital + big honking lens, the number of photos that fit the criteria for "my best work" grew beyond anything reasonable for a scrapbook.

Enter my Birder's Life List project. I had the brilliant idea that maybe a little show and tell would be a nice inclusion if I should ever receive any calls for programs now that I'm listed in the Wisconsin Society of Ornithology Speaker's Bureau. I could print out my favorite photos, scrap them on a small layout of 6 inches by 6 inches, using up my too numerous leftover scraps saved from other projects.

I think I've created for myself a whole new hobby. In the past week, I've already completed nineteen of these layouts. Now, although my North American Life List stands currently at 206, I certainly don't have good photos, or in many cases, any photos, for all of those. Still, I have enough to keep myself busy for a nice long time. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get back to saving family or vacation photos in my scrapbooks now.

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who has found a way to combine this love we call birding with another passion. Share yours. Now that I think of it, I've combined one more; my Speaker's Bureau offering is a program of stories from world folklore, sharing tales of birds and why they do the things they do!

5 Comments:

  • I've never had an interest in scrapbooking before, but your post gave me inspiration.

    I am kind of proud of the number of different bird species I've been able to attract to my tiny urban backyard. After reading your post, I realized I had also captured photos of about 85% of them. So I just put together my "Yardbirds" scrapbook!

    Of course it is mostly a photo album at this point, but think I am getting the hang of the embellishment thing. Thanks again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

  • Wonderful, Gwyn!
    Perfectly inspired!
    ~jane

    By Blogger Jane, at 5:56 PM  

  • Hi Gwyn! Love your photos and the scrapbook pages! great idea!
    I'm gonna take the idea too! Make my own mini album. I don't bird-watch persay but I love nature photography! So I figure a small nature album would be a great mini book!
    thanks for the inspiration!

    By Blogger Spot-On, at 3:19 PM  

  • Bonjour!!!
    I love birds.
    Here we have a lot too who are beautiful.

    Merci for your comment!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:59 PM  

  • Gwyn, I've seen each of your bird pages in the Village, but it was very cool to see them all together! Once they're done being displayed, they're going to make a great ring-album!

    Becca

    By Blogger Bec, at 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page