Bird brained stories!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Visits of the season....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Nuthatches have always struck me as one of the cutest birds out there. Truth be told, pretty much any perching bird qualifies as "cute" in my mind, but Nuthatches are just so darn jaunty and perky. Any bird that can charge down a treetrunk head first over and over again has to be a top contender in the "cute" contest. For the past few weeks, I've been enjoying a double dose of cuteness in my yard.

White Breasted Nuthatches live in my yard year round. They, like many other birds, make themselves scarce during the nesting season but return once the kids are grown up and moved out. A couple weeks ago, I was in the house when I heard a call from the pine grove that could have doubled for the Little Nash Rambler of song. Could it be?

Sure enough, the Red Breasted Nuthatches have been making themselves at home for the time being, doing battle with the bigger White Breasted for the seed feeders. Both seem to prefer the sunflower seeds, grabbing one, flying off and then stashing it elsewhere. While hanging clothes on the line today, they were constantly darting to the nearby tree, then to the feeder and off to another tree, repeating this sequence over and over. At one point, I saw two Red Breasteds, and for all I know, there's a gang of them back in those pines. However many there may be, I'm glad they've stopped and stayed for awhile, giving me the chance to enjoy their absolute cuteness, right down to their toy car horn call.

4 Comments:

  • Great shot! Hey, I finally have a red-breasted hanging out in my yard too. I love watching these little guys!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:03 PM  

  • Just last summer right over the down town area where i live i watched a pair of WESTERN KINGBIRDS chasing a RED TAIL HAWK its incredible to realize how fearless these birds are

    By Anonymous Birdzilla, at 2:02 AM  

  • Could you imagine returning as a bird and getting even with someone who has dumped on you?

    By Anonymous Flu-Bird, at 12:34 AM  

  • Taking pictures of birds in a natural environment is a difficult task even for a professional.effective tips on editing essay Your pictures of flying birds are expressive. The photographs you present are good for their simplicity.

    By Blogger paulsmith198914@gmail.com, at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page