Bird brained stories!

Saturday, February 11, 2006

A time and place for one's thoughts

It had snowed here at last. Putting my cross country skis in the car and driving in anticipation of finally enjoying the trails again, I was disheartened to discover that snowfall on the trails was minimal. Disappointed but undaunted, I shifted gears and instead headed into the trails of the forest in search of my jinx bird, along with any other enjoyable sights of nature that might present themselves.

I spent hours. Hours. Yes, I did spot my friend the jinx bird, but only briefly. It haunted me my whole afternoon, laughing in a mocking sort of way. Too bad for him! I just trained my camera onto more willing subjects. Like this one.....

Image hosting by Photobucket


Or perhaps this one...

Image hosting by Photobucket

Maybe even this perky little fellow...

Image hosting by Photobucket

In various spots throughout the forest, a veritable symphony of woodpecker drumming could be heard. A small suet feeder hangs in a clearing near the confluence of several trails, and much free entertainment could be had watching all these birds jockey for position. Those waiting nearby proclaimed their stake with drumming, and hearing anywhere from 30-40 Downy, Hairy and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers drumming at once is an experience not to be missed!

My time in the woods was spent in the company of such as these, along with several white-tail deer, but as I headed reluctantly back to civilization, the sky opened up and presented a show better than anything that might have been streaming online or broadcast late afternoon.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I can't help but think that if those people who tear up our landscape in the name of "progress" would spend some time away from that progress, an appreciation for what is being lost might develop. One cannot spend time walking deliberately through the forest, alone with your thoughts and the creatures who make it their home, and not see its value. Where some see "increased tax base," I see only "less wild places." Somehow, I much prefer my sunset framed by trees and grasslands instead of skyscrapers and McMansions.

4 Comments:

  • Where do you hike for birdwatching?
    No- not enough snow for skiing
    I enjoy seeing your pictures. I need to get my husband out filling out outdoor feeders. He spends all his bird time on his indoor finches.

    By Blogger Kirsten, at 6:26 AM  

  • Don't know why I hadn't found your blog before. Had a lovely time looking at your photos.

    Wish I could share my Pileated with you! Hope you find him and get your photos soon!

    I especially love your nuthatch photo. We have them in the yard but they tend to turn their least photogenic side to the camera.

    By Blogger Endment, at 6:59 AM  

  • beautiful photos! I especially love the sunset, wow.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 PM  

  • Spectacular photos, Gwyn. And I echo all of your sentiments. Thanks for such an all around lovely post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page