Bird brained stories!

Sunday, December 18, 2005

..to the smallest.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On to other locales, I was assigned to a cemetary in the city, one that has been good in past years for Red Breasted Nuthatches, White Winged Crossbills and Robins. The Robins where there, but in spite of learning the family name of everyone ever buried there, I failed to find the other two. That lack was more than made up when several Brown Creepers delighted me with close looks and a few photos. They were the smallest of the birds I counted this year.

At the group potluck last night, we came up with a total of 53 species observed. I had Belted Kingfishers, seen by only one or two other observers, but none of the birds I saw were ones not on the printed area winter list. No matter. It was still wonderful to take part in this annual citizen science project, and I'm determined to discover the identity of my mystery bird. Best bets so far seem to be a young Merlin...truly a sign of just how magical the world of birds can be.

1 Comments:

  • WOW what an amazing photo of that eagle!!! I've been enjoying your bird blog (although I know nothing about birdwatching myself). You must have an AMAZING telephoto lens! Great blog :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page