Bird brained stories!

Friday, April 14, 2006

Wake-up call

I've been to a wetland meadow near my home before sunrise a couple times this past week, and it seems I've been witnessing the wake-up calls of a pair of Sandhill Cranes each time. I know where one spends the night, because I discovered its spot quite by accident. Getting a fairly close look through the heavy morning fog, it didn't fly at first glance.

Back in the meadow yesterday morning, the fog was even thicker. The Sandhill was in its same spot, preening and fluffing its feathers, occasionally stopping to look my way. From somewhere behind me in the fog, I heard that sonorous bugling, and watched as my friend stopped, looked, then straigthened its neck to call in response. This happened a couple more times, and I'd expected that before long, off this Crane would fly to join its mate and head into the fields for the day. It didn't.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Drastic Photoshop measures saved this image!

As the sun finally burned off the fog, I watched as the pair found each other and flew off, side by side. How much longer will this be the routine? How lucky have I been to watch at such close range this intimate morning wake-up call?

4 Comments:

  • Oh, aren't you fortunate! What a magical moment for you. [BTW:"Drastic Photoshop measures" created a soft Japanese painting - a masterpiece! Beautiful!]

    By Blogger Pam in Tucson, at 2:35 AM  

  • Aren't we filled with gratitude for rescues by photoshop - one minute we love it - the next _____....
    Absolutely wonderful photo!

    By Blogger Endment, at 7:28 PM  

  • Your rescued photo is stunning! Great job with both camera and Photoshop, Gwyn!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 PM  

  • Terrific picture!!

    By Blogger Chris Petrak, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page